Monday, September 10, 2007

On your mark, get set...

Today was Riley's first day of kindergarten. People keep asking if I cried when I dropped her off. The answer is...no.

For one thing, she and I had already been through the traumatic separation bit when she went off to preschool more than two years ago. In her case, this lasted exactly 2-1/2 hours and 5 minutes (the 5 minutes was when I dropped her off on day two. Apparently as soon as I was out of sight she was as happy as a daisy the rest of the day, though I spent the time in tears, certain her spirit was being permanently damaged by this abandonment).

One way to look at the first day of kindergarten is to think of it as a transitional ending, where your child is moving from babyhood to childhood. But in Riley's case, it seemed much more to me to be like opening the starting gate against which she has been straining. Riley has always been our independent child, certain she could handle anything. While this makes for a harrowing parenting experience, I have always hoped that this quality will serve her well into the future.

She and I both have been excited anticipating her first day. I have been ordering and returning uniforms like crazy, wondering yet again how companies can have such different ideas about what "size 5" means and why Blackwatch plaid with red stripe is "bad" while Blackwatch plaid without the despoiling red stripe is "good." She has been listing the people she knows will be there, the teachers she has met, and which are the good spots on the playground.

Finally the day arrived. Riley got up, showered, dressed in her shiny new uniform, ate a big breakfast, put on a cheesy smile for the camera, and proudly led the way to the car ("Come on, Mom! We're leaving!"). I walked with her up to her classroom, watched her stow her things in her new locker, and walked in behind her when she confidently opened the door to her classroom, made her way past the throng of parents assembled at the back, and sat down with the other kids to hear the teacher read a story. After a moment, she turned back for a second look, and I waved and indicated I was leaving. As I reached the door, she ran back to give me one quick hug and kiss before hopping over to rejoin the group.

As I was leaving, one father was gently tugging his wife on the arm, saying, "Honey, we need to go now. Come on, it's okay, it's time to leave here..." But, rather than feeling sad and nostalgic at the passing of her early years, I had a huge smile on my face. I was so proud and thrilled to see Riley race out of her starting gate full speed. I loved learning at school - the books, the activities, the teachers, the new facts and ideas, the creative projects. I don't know if Riley will love school as much as I did - I hope she does - but in the end she goes her own way, as always.

Happy first day of kindergarten, baby girl.

Aaaannnnnd, GO!

1 comment:

Sam said...

Go Riley Go!

Nice post, Cyndy. And yeah, starting year 1 of preschool was rough. I don't think kindergarten will be as big a deal.

Riley's so darn cute in her uniform.