Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Second verse, same as the first..."

Project: Black 1/2-circle skirt
Pattern: Simplicity 3834
Fabric: Medium-weight black linen with embroidery

Voila! I finished skirt number two from my starter pattern, and I have to say I think it turned out well. A few glitches here and there, but nothing major. Not like, say, the following project, still in progress, where I'm making a camo-print cargo skirt with what seems like a thousand curvy pockets. But that's another story.

The good: The second time around was faster and turned out better overall. The zipper went in without a hitch, and the lace edging turned out really well. I like the fabric very much. My mom was admiring it as well, so perhaps a future project for her in the offing.

The bad: The zipper fit so snugly against the top of the skirt that there wasn't much room for the hook and eye. I was thinking about leaving it off, but Chelsea suggested squeezing it in there. A good idea, since one doesn't want to find out one's zipper is coming down by having one's skirt suddenly fall off.

The ugly: Well, if you look very closely at the hemline, the stitching kind of waves up and down rather wildly rather than sitting in a nice, neat line 1/4" away from the lace edging like it is supposed to. I'll keep practicing this one.

Wearability: Just great! Fits well and feels really solid. The newness of the lace edging makes the bottom stand out a bit like a poodle skirt, but it will calm on washing, I expect.


(PS. The post title is from a Violent Femmes song, one of my all-time favorite bands. Well, their early stuff anyway.)

No comments: