Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Your mission, should you choose to accept it


Recently I held the third "birthday hunt" that I host for a few friends and family during July each year. The first year, it was my way of reconciling my love of puzzling with my dislike of turning one year older. I had so much fun the first year, I put on another, and then another. Each couple (seven total this year) is assigned a color encoded into the party invitation. Along with their RSVP, they verify that they decoded the correct color successfully. This year there were some really creative costumes that went along with the spy theme.

I write all of the puzzles for these events (with much help and from my husband Jeff), usually around 25 or so in all. This year each team recieved a crafty puzzle of some kind--either a cross-stitch work or a quilt--that was itself a puzzle. Other puzzles included identifying spice names from little unlabeled jars and a kind of four-person dance that two teams executed on a large letter grid to spell the answer.

Good times!

No comments: